Terrain seems a bit unstable. No readout yet if the air is breathable.– Buzz Lightyear, Toy Story
Essential Habits of Adulthood
If you’re just tuning in, I am focusing on what I like to call The Essential Habits of Adulthood. And they are as follows (in no particular order):
- Skincare Routines
- Regular Exercise
- Healthy Eating
- Practicing Mindfulness
- Good Night’s Sleep
In my last post, Essential Habits of Adulthood: Skincare, we discussed why we should care about these habits. Then we continued to venture through the importance of skincare and my personal routines. If you’re interested in jump starting an amazing skincare routine during this pandemic, then check it out. Now, let’s continue this journey with exercise!
Importance of Regular Exercise
We all know that a regular exercise habit is good for us; I do not need to tell you. But I might need to provide some valid reasons why you should care! Mayo Clinic shares an article called Exercise: 7 Benefits of Regular Physical Activity that list some amazing reasons to exercise regularly:
- Exercise controls weight
- Exercise combats health conditions and diseases
- Exercise improves moods
- Exercise boosts energy
- Exercise promotes better sleep
- Exercise puts the spark back into your sex life
- Exercise can be fun… and social!
My favorite reason among this list is “Exercise combats health conditions and disease”! As we get older, our health doesn’t exponentially decline, but it does continue to decrease. Exercise is one of the many answers to health issues and mental health issues!
My Exercise Journey
If you didn’t know, I used to be very over-weight. Technically… I am still over-weight, but at a very lower weight! My health was always an issue. I caught any and all bugs that were circulating the area at any given time, and I would have constant issues with my breathing, body aches, and sleep! Long story short, exercise became one of my best friends.
I have done various forms of exercise; from at home dance workouts to power-lifting. I continue to try new exercise opportunities to see what I like the most. Exercise does not have to be a dreading experience; it can be an amazing fun adventure. Below is a quick glance of some forms of exercise I have done and my opinions:
- Home Workout Videos: I first started working out at home because I was too intimidated to workout at the gym. So, I have used A LOT of different workout videos. The majority came from beachbody.com in a DVD format; Shaun T was my favorite! During the current pandemic, I have been using YouTube as my prime source of exercise!
- Zumba: I am not a very good dancer, but thankfully you do not have to be to join in on the fun! Zumba is a great way to meet some amazing people and just have a good time with exercise. It will leave you winded and DRENCHED in sweat!
- Kickboxing: More like kick my butt! Great way to get the blood pumping and upper body screaming! Plus, you get to punch things!!! Talk about a great stress reliever.
- Power-lifting: My boyfriend introduced me to this amazing form of exercise! It challenges me and continues to show me how strong I am. It’s also a great way for me to bond with my boyfriend! I can not wait for this pandemic to be over to hit the gym and get back to it!
- Hiking: If the weather permits, catch me on the mountain side! I love hiking. There is something about nature and being outdoors that truly makes me feel alive! Hiking is an amazing way to exercise and self-reflect.
- Running/Jogging/Walking: Let me start by saying I LOATHE running/jogging! I will continue by saying I have made running/jogging a regular part of my day. It is a struggle to start, but I feel so amazing afterwards! I also make sure to go on regular walks; whether its around my work parking lot with a friend or around my apartment complex. Just an amazing way to get some fresh air and breathe!
Exercise is important. It is a great habit to build in your life to combat stress, bad health, or negative mental states. The earlier the habit is built in our lives, the easier it will be to maintain! I challenge you to make exercise a regular part of your day! Since we are currently on lock-down, try one of the below for 15 – 30 minutes a day:
- Go for a walk around the block or your apartment complex. It takes about 25 minutes to walk a mile!
- Find a short workout video on YouTube and do it; Zumba, yoga, body weight exercises, etc.
- If your up for more, go for a run or jog for time!
Until next week, be safe & healthy!
3 thoughts on “Essential Habits of Adulthood: Regular Exercise”
Pingback: Essential Habits of Adulthood: Healthy Eating – Adulthood: Still Figuring It Out
Pingback: Essential Habits of Adulthood: Practicing Mindfulness – Adulthood: Still Figuring It Out
Pingback: Essential Habits of Adulthood: Good Night’s Sleep – Adulthood: Still Figuring It Out